Get this : 4 funny facts about the Dutch culture

By Gadiola Emanuel - 6:47:00 AM

8
1) Sitting with legs out of the window. Yes, the windows are large and the Dutch need to make good use of it. So those who can’t be bothered to go to the park (or to the beach) on a hot summer’s day…stay in. Well, kind of. Half in, half out, as they open their windows and leave their legs hanging against the building. When the dude is tall, is even better. “Is that guy really sitting?”, my father-in-law asked me once while starring at this Dutchman with very long legs and so tall his body would cover half of the window. Great habit, great habit…especially when the sun won’t stop shinning as it has been during this glorious May.
Cyclists_at_red_2
2) Not giving preference to pedestrians. Speaking to friends who came to visit Amsterdam, I noticed they all agree in one point: crossing the street is darn scary for pedestrians. The rule goes as follow: Cyclists are the highest rank in the traffic hierarchy. Trams come as second. Then buses. And then (if I’m not forgetting any other means of transport) come the pedestrians. I find this a funny fact as people worldwide (except in Egypt and India, maybe) usually give preference to pedestrians at all times. However, being a cyclist and almost never a pedestrian in this beautiful city, I have to say I kinda like this funny fact…
barcelona-taste-buds-tapas-restaurant-crowd-full
3) Being too honest. Since when this can be a bad thing, right? Except maybe when you’re a girl and you’re overweight. But some other times, too, I wish the truth wasn’t rubbed into my face. If you go to a restaurant and all the tables are taken, you go in and the person in charge of the venue will say: “Sorry, we are full”. To some of you this might sound like the most reasonable attitude but everywhere else that I’ve been (especially during a recession) restaurants do all they can to keep as many customers as they can. In Brazil you will hear from the manager: “We will get you a table in 5 minutes, just wait right there.” Of course they don’t…but who cares! I don’t want to be sent home - just pretend you will have a table soon.
Photographer
4) Middle aged men outfits. My parents like to dress quirckly. Or so I thought before I came here. Women don’t seem to be as adventurous as men, but the gentlemen excel when it comes to combining all different kinds of bright colours, fabrics, textures and accessories. If you really notice them, it won’t be difficult to find a man in his 50s, wearing snake boots, green socks, red trousers and yellow gloves. Simply brilliant. 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments